The most reliable ancient records identify the place of Saint Jude’s martyrdom and burial to be the city of Beirut. Sometime later, his body was transferred to Rome and placed in a crypt within the original Saint Peter’s Basilica, completed by the Emperor Constantine (in 333 AD). Today, his remains are in the left transept of the current Basilica (completed in 1626), below the main altar of Saint Joseph, within a tomb also holding the remains of the Apostle Simon. This resting place has become a popular destination for pilgrims who have a devotion to the Apostle of the Impossible.
The arm of the saint, which is making its way across North America as part of this tour, was separated from the greater portion of his remains several centuries ago and placed in a simple wooden reliquary carved in the shape of an upright arm in the gesture of imparting a blessing.
The reliquary was last opened during the time of Cardinal Francesco Marchetti Selvaggiani, who served as Vicar General of His Holiness (Vicar General for the Archdiocese of Rome) from 1931-1951. His seals enclose it, ensuring provenance and authenticity.